Saturday, March 23, 2013

Me and Stevie Wonder

I'm not an overly superstitious person. That's not to say I deliberately walk under ladders to tempt fate. No, because someone or something might fall on me, which would prove that walking under ladders is indeed, unlucky.

However, I do have my own superstitions that I think are unique to me and therefore might reinforce the need for more medication but I heed them nonetheless.

If a bad thought pops into my head I immediately knock on wood. It's my way of ensuring the bad thing won't happen. Like a safeguard. I know my best bet is to not think bad thoughts in the first place. Have we met? If I could do that I'd have a lot less wood furniture in my home. And this post would be noticeably shorter. This knocking  on wood does not apply to people who deserve the bad thoughts because those are intentionally dreamed up. And usually painful. And no wood is harmed.

Another quirky superstition is that sometimes when I have some news I won't reveal it. Like if a magazine is considering an article I wrote I won't mention it to anyone until it's actually in print. It's like my very own secret. I think, though, it has more to do with me having less people to disappoint if the news doesn't turn out the way I want it to. So, sure I'm viewing the glass as half empty. If the news is good, I just refill the glass. And shout from the rooftops.

I also cross my fingers when hoping for something good or hoping for a good outcome. And i follow the itching hand superstition theory that if your left hand itches you will receive money and if your right hand itches you will give money. These last two are kind of common but I follow them.  Why? Because I'm ridiculous! Plus, all of this knocking, crossing and itching keeps my hands occupied so there is a method to my madness. (Madness being the key word)

So, how does Stevie Wonder fit into all of this? He doesn't. He just sings that cool song, "Superstition".
And now for your listening pleasure... 




No comments:

Post a Comment