Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Back to School

My son went back to school this past Monday. And for the first time since he started Pre-School, I was apprehensive. You see, at the start of Summer he was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. So in addition to all the "back to school" items I had to purchase and prepare I also had to get a Diabetes kit together to keep at school. Can we say, "Hassle"? There are times when this friggin disease pisses me off so you can see that I am still struggling to fully make peace with it. Anyway, for the whole summer my husband and I have been his sole care-takers when it comes to testing his blood glucose and giving him insulin shots. Now, I have to turn part of that over to school personnel. Someone else has to be responsible for the Little Man's health. His teacher (who so far seems very sweet and understanding) has to keep an eye on him during class lest his sugar levels get too low. A nurse has to administer his shots. He, himself, has to be responsible for telling someone when he starts to feel as he calls it "shaky".

Well, after a few small bumps in the road, all is going well, so far. I take it one day at a time. I'll bear the burden of frustration and worry because I want him to enjoy school and learn and have fun. He has bigger things to deal with like learning cursive writing and picking teams for dodgeball.

No comments:

Post a Comment