Monday, February 20, 2012

Frankly my dear...I love this movie

The other night I watched Gone With The Wind for possibly the hundredth time. It's one of those movies that when you come across it on TV you have to watch, regardless of how many times you've seen it before. Like, The Godfather.

What's not to love about this classic movie? It's romantic, a bit historical and has two fabulous stars in leading roles. I came up with my own list of reasons why I love this movie and why if it came on right now, I'd watch it. Again.

5. The book.
I've read the book and seen the movie. The movie stayed pretty true to the book and I enjoy(ed) both. I think most good movies come from books. Although most movies don't live up to their book versions, GWTW did and still does.


4.  The Time Period.
I love the pre-Civil War or antebellum period. The Southern plantations, the dresses worn by the Southern belles, the scenery, was all gorgeous. Maybe I'm romanticizing it but that era was itself, romantic. Who wouldn't want to live in Tara?


3.  Mammy.
Long before Nell Carter on Gimme A Break, there was Hattie McDaniel as Mammy. Who wouldn't want her as a caretaker? She was sensible, feisty and kept you in line. Scarlett may not have always been good to  her but I'd like to think that in her own way, she adored her Mammy.

2. Rhett Butler.
Do I really have to say anything else? Sure he was a rogue and a scoundrel but he was dashing, debonair, handsome and one of the original bad boys. Who can blame Scarlett for falling for him? Even though she realized too late...

1. Scarlett O'Hara.
She was selfish. She was mean. She was conniving, manipulative and broke almost all of the 10 Commandments. So why do I love her? She was a strong woman in a time when women were more damsels in distress. Sometimes her ends may not have justified the means but she did what needed to be done. She also didn't give a damn who liked her or what they thought of her. Some girls/women today could learn a lesson or two from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment