Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hurray for cold weather or, why those in colder climes will hate me

It's 40-something degrees out and this morning there were snow flurries. In the desert!! I know, pretty wild.

Now, I'm a big fan of summer and I love the hot weather, which makes sense considering I live in the middle of a desert that averages warm temps 9 months out of the year. However, this cold front makes me happy.

Why? Because I'm one of those weird believers that you need cold winter weather for it to feel Christmassy. Having grown up in northern New Jersey for most of my life where cold and Christmas go hand-in-hand like, well, like a hand in a glove, this is nice.

I think I'm the only one who feels this way in the Vegas Valley. I was smiling in my heavy jacket and boots as I walked from my car to the store this afternoon. It was cool and it was windy and I didn't care.

My mom, who was wearing a sweater and turning up the heat in her house as she sipped hot tea said, "It's going to be cold like this for the next few days." My reply was, "I know! Isn't it great?" To which she gave me that familiar you can't be my child look as she shook her head.

I know it won't last and soon it'll warm up to at least the 50s. And I'm sure all those living way up North or in the snowy Mid-west who are freezing their rump roasts off and have already had to dig themselves out of a snowy mess may want to lynch me but still. Call me old-fashioned (or an idiot) but I'd rather see Santa in his warm, red suit flying his sleigh than in his shorts and flip flops delivering toys in his dune buggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment