Monday, October 12, 2015

What was said vs. What I heard

Overhearing other people's conversations is sometimes inevitable. It's not that I want to hear what people are saying but when I do, well, it's like a game of telephone gone bad. Shit gets lost in translation.

For example, I walked into a convo-in-progress in the break room at work.

What was said: "I heard he had surgery."

What I heard: " I heard he has herpes."

My bugged out eyes and subsequent giggling led me to reveal what I "thought" was said. Everyone was hysterical despite my inappropriate, if not downright questionable, sense of hearing.

Then, another time at work...

What was said: "Do you like nuts?"

What I heard: "Are you like, nuts?"

This interpretation also brought the house down. And then the entire conversation took a sharp turn right into the gutter. Thankfully, I had nothing to do with that. After all I have a hard enough time deciphering what's being said without adding my own dirty two cents. Now, if only people would speak more clearly when I'm around, but then, where's the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment