Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Mormon, Four Wives and a Bowler

Sounds like the start of a joke, doesn't it?

It isn't. (Sorry to disappoint. I promise tacky & saucy jokes at a later date.) Anyway, we recently had a couple brushes with celebrities. Sort of. I'll explain.

During Little Man's Spring Break we took him to play mini golf at our local Putt Putt Place. It was a beautiful day so there were a lot of people playing. There was also a camera crew.  Maybe the news was doing a segment on the growing rise in popularity of mini golf. Could be. But there was no news van in the parking lot.

So we asked the girl behind the counter as we paid, "What's up with all the cameras?"  She said they were filming a reality TV show. "What, the Real Housewives of Las Vegas?" I asked as a joke. Although it wouldn't be funny if it were true because I wasn't asked to join. But I digress. (Oh, there is no RHoLV. Yet. In case you were wondering.) Countergirl said "No, they're filming 'Sister Wives'."

This is that show about that Mormon guy who's married to 4 women. Yeah, that one.

We settled into playing our game at a snail's pace because of the amount of people, and bad putting and the Mormon and his lot holding up things as camera crews filmed him, the wives and all their kids playing. I couldn't help but gawk at them. I mean, this guy is nothing to brag about. And what were they doing in MY town all the way from Utah, I wondered. I came to find out from the disgusted grandmother, who was one hole behind us with her grand kids, that he was chased out of Utah for 'bringing attention to Polygamy' and had to relocate here. Ugh.






Then a few days later Little Man got to meet (and bowl) with Professional Bowler, Chris Barnes and his wife, Lynda. Unless you're a pro bowler or follow the Pro Bowlers Circuit, these names mean nothing to you. My dad and brother are bowlers and follow the sport so I know this couple.

This time there were no camera crews, no gawking crowds and just the bowler and his one wife. (A little dig at the above). They were there for a charitable event called Strike Out! Diabetes on behalf of JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Chris and Lynda have a son who is a Type 1 diabetic so they have a personal stake in this. Let me just say that they were the sweetest, most gracious people you could hope to meet. Chris B. took time to personally speak with my Christopher about his diabetes.

Here is Chris and Lynda Barnes with some of the kids that bowled at the event. Little Man is in front of Lynda.

(Note she has her hand on his shoulder. Yeah, apparently she was quite taken with my charming little man. Hey Lynda, he's not so sweet when you wake him up to go to school.)

No comments:

Post a Comment