Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Still reading with my son

A few months ago I wrote about the night-time book reading ritual that Chris and I share. I'm happy to say it still continues. (Yay!)

Finding books that will keep his interest isn't always easy and a couple times I chose a book he wasn't too sure about but he ended up loving. Case in point, Treasure Island.


 
When I chose this book from the library  he made a face that was a cross between disdain and whatever. Picture Elvis going meh with his lip curled. Turns out he loved it. (My kid, not Elvis) So did I.  I had not read the book before this so getting to talk like a pirate (remember I do the character voices) and singing Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum was a lot of fun! This book had everything a young boy (and his mom) love: sword fighting, mutiny and lots of Arrgh-ing.

After that adventure we toned things down with the newest Big Nate book which is always a hit.

Source


Currently we're reading King Arthur and his Knights. This one is a slow-go because it's written in the King's English with lots of 'Thous' and 'Dost'. Sometimes he asks me what a word means and I explain that I haven't a clue but doesn't it sound pretty? Hopefully the action heats up because so far we're 3 chapters in and Arthur just pulled Excalibur out of the stone. We have an agreement to give a book a few chapters before we declare it "Boooooring". Or, as they say in King Arthur's days, "Thou art boring."


source

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with King Arthur -- hee hee.

    I've nominated your blog for the Liebster Award -- here are the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much. I am honored by this nomination.

      Delete