Saturday, November 10, 2012

Walk this way

Cue Aerosmith...


Today I got up at stupid o'clock (okay maybe not, it was just 7:00 am) and dressed warmly (in Vegas? Yes, I know!) and joined thousands of other people in the Annual JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes.

As anyone who knows me and reads my blog knows, my Little Man is a type 1 diabetic. So today, he and I walked side by side along with his grandfather to support further research, funding and hopefully soon, a cure. Chris named our team, Team Lightning.

This was our first walk and it was a lot of fun. Of course I knew it would be since I spent many volunteer hours putting certain aspects of it together. Signs along the route? That was me. Carnival game prizes? Me. Goodie bags at the last checkpoint? Me, again. Oh and if anyone didn't get a bag of cheese fries in their goodie bag...sorry. But know that they were quite delicious as I sampled in the office. 

The walk itself was 5k or 3.1 miles and by the end my calves were feeling every bit of it. Okay, so maybe I'm a little out of shape. At least we didn't cut through any short cuts, so I should be given some credit. Plus I have a little cold so there's that.

Seriously though, the walk was easy. Diabetes is hard, but strides are being taken to make it less so.







No comments:

Post a Comment