Friday, May 4, 2012

Don't call me, I'll call you

I'm not a fan of talking on the phone. Gabbing, gossiping, catching up on life, blah blah blah. I really don't enjoy it. Business calls are the worst but that's usually because I don't like dealing with crappy customer service and bureaucratic nonsense.



Thank God for social media or I'd never communicate with my friends or the outside world. People would think I'm a recluse and avoid my house for fear of disturbing "the un-communicative woman who lives there".

I'm not even sure where this dislike of phone calls came from. As a teen-age girl I was always on the phone with my girlfriends. So much that my dad got me my own private phone line so that "other people in the house could use the telephone".

These days I have to be in the mood to make a phone call. Almost like a doctor having to block out some time for an appointment. Once I'm on the phone, I'm fine. I can talk for a while. And I shamefully confess that sometimes I do other things while on the phone like, paint my toenails, straighten up my desk area or the ever popular doodling. Oh come on, I'm not the only one. Don't judge!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not unsociable and I love my friends. I would just rather we email, text, message one another or tweet than talk on the phone.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, or silly or unreasonably silly. But to me the phone is a necessary evil. That I try to avoid.


No comments:

Post a Comment