Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A push to volunteer

For the last couple of years I've considered getting involved with some charity/organization and donating my time. I wasn't sure what or where but I knew the situation would present itself. And boy did it ever! God didn't just nudge me he pushed me into a specific direction when Christopher was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.

I'm talking about JDRF-LV and how I am an now donating my time to a worthy cause.

In the beginning, Bill and I just attended the monthly meetings. We met new people and learned some information about the disease that we hadn't known before.

Then, two months ago, I decided to actively become a volunteer. Now I come to their office (which is very close to the house so yay!) about twice a week for 2-2 1/2 hours a day. I do everything from stuffing envelopes to helping with big charity events.

Sometimes I like the mindless stuff. Staple this flyer to that packet? Sure thing. They did have me use the paper cutter once, which might have been one time too many because of the way the postcardy things were cutting. In my defense, it was getting stuck on the downward cut and the postcardy things kept moving as I struggled. Not my fault!

They also had me measure some paintings for size to be displayed on a wall at our big, gala event. What the heck were they thinking? Me and numbers? Never a good combination. Not to mention it was art and so it was hard to tell how it would hang. I only hope I looked at some of them correctly, otherwise the length was measured as the width and vice versa. This is what happens when you let a non-artsy person use a tape measure.

Anyway, I like going to the office. The women are all very nice. And I like knowing that I am helping out in some way. I do what I can to combat this disease. I do it because it's the least I can do. I do it for Christopher.

However, the next time I'm looking for some guidance, I hope to get a more gentle prodding.

No comments:

Post a Comment