Sunday, August 5, 2012

Diabetes breaks my heart. Again.

Every night when I tuck Little Man into bed, we have 'Snuggly Time'. I kneel beside his bed and he lays on the edge. Sometimes he just holds my hand and other times he latches onto my arm. We talk and  giggle about silly stuff.

Tonight as I was preparing to say my final good night he said, "Mom, I don't want to have diabetes anymore."  I hugged him and whispered, "I know."

Then he said, "It hurts." And I held him closer and said, "I know, Baby." And my heart broke. Again.

The same way it breaks when I give him his insulin injection and he winces in pain or bleeds a little because I accidentally hit a vein. The same way it breaks when he gets frustrated while pricking his finger to check his blood/sugar levels. The same way it will always break for him because of this damn disease and how it affects him.

I pray for a cure for diabetes. I want his hurt to go away. I want to stop saying "I know" when I honestly don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment