Monday, August 25, 2014

Diabetes and the first day of school

Today was the first day of school for Chris. The first day of Middle school. I had been quietly dreading this day since last June when he graduated from Elementary. Of course on the outside I was all, "This will be fine." "It'll be great." Especially when talking to him in the days leading up to today but I was more or less trying to reassure myself.

Last night I calmed his worries. I never led on that I was anxious myself. I didn't sleep well, either. Hey, I remember what it was like to go to a new school. Back then we called it Junior High School. We also walked uphill both ways in the snow with no shoes. Okay, maybe not both ways.

Normally I'm not an over-protective, hovercraft of a parent but I do worry about him in regards to his diabetes and how this transition will affect him.

Will he be nervous? And how will that affect his blood-sugar levels?
Will his teachers be understanding of his disease?
Will his classmates be nice to him?
Will he have someone to eat lunch with?


All these things were going on in my head. When I spoke to some other d-parents who have older kids and so they had already experienced this angst, they all said, "He'll be fine." "Don't worry, it'll be great." Wasn't I telling my kid the same things? Is there an echo..echo..echo?

When I picked him up from school I started asking questions as we walked to the car. His answers were brief but in short: School was good. Some of his former classmates were in his classes. It was a little boring but it was also exciting.

As for his diabetes, upon dismissal he informed each teacher that he was a diabetic and they all appreciated him letting them know. Also, his blood-glucose numbers were good and in-range all day.

And, he had a friend and former classmate to eat lunch with.


No comments:

Post a Comment