Tuesday, September 2, 2014

I wash my hands of this weirdness

Here are some amusingly weird things I've overheard and participated in recently. Who knows, this could become a weekly segment entitled: "I wash my hands of this weirdness."




My kid and I stopped in at McDonald's for a quick lunch one early afternoon. Actually it was around 11:30 in the morning but since they stop breakfast at 10:30 (idk, weird hour) let's call it lunch. So we were seated across from this couple that were about my parents age. They had the table covered with papers and files and her laptop and a coffee cup. A heated discussion ensued. Then the man casually says, "We should get something to eat."

Of course, how novel, you are after all in an eating establishment, I think to myself.

Then he asks the woman, "You want to go to Fuddruckers?" Then they pack up and leave McDonald's. To go eat somewhere else. I so wanted to follow them and see if this was a pattern. Maybe they sat in Fuddruckers and while eating their meal debated on going to Wendy's for something to drink?

Weird.

Last week I went to the bank to deposit a birthday check my son received. Here's how that turned out:

Teller: (after looking at check and my signature) Is this your son?

Now, I wanted to smart-ass her and say something like, No, I was standing in the checkout at Wal-Mart when some random woman asked me if I could deposit her son's check.

Me: Yes.

Then she looked at the check again and back at me.

Me: If you need him to come verify I'll have to sign him out of P.E. class first.

Teller: No, no but you need to indicate that you are his mother on the back of the check.

So I had to write "Mom" next to my signature. (Curious, are women coming into banks and depositing strange kids' checks? Is this a thing?)

Teller: (while completing the transaction) Have you ever thought about opening up a savings account for your son?

Me: (a little confused) Um, he already has one, this one that you're depositing the money into.

Teller: Oh, right. I'm sorry.

Weird.





2 comments: