Monday, September 2, 2013

Finding my happy

I am not happy. That doesn't mean I spend my days as a miserable wretch living life with a sourpuss. No. There are days of levity, smiles and awesomeness. Hell, there are days of downright hilarity. Much of it is evidenced here on this blog. However, I'm not happy. I know you're saying to yourself, "Happy? Who is?" And I understand. I get it. No one is completely 100% happy.

Let me backtrack and try to explain exactly what I mean. I feel like I misplaced my happy. I allowed my happiness to be determined by other people, places, and things. I pretty much expected it that way. And in waiting-hoping-expecting people, or places, or things to make me happy, I lost it.

This isn't to say that people can't make you happy. My son does that easily just by being his adorable and silly self. Places and things can also make you happy. But, you shouldn't rely on or expect them to make you happy. I lost myself and my happy by doing just that. And now I'm trying to get it back.

This is my journey to find my happiness. I know it won't happen overnight. But each day I will look for some bit of happiness. And I will make a conscious effort to release people, places, and things of my expectations to be happy. I don't plan on posting an update everyday but I will chronicle my progress here and there. If you already have happiness in your life, then 'Yay!' for you; hold on to it tightly and don't let go. If you need to find your happy, feel free to join me on the journey.

6 comments:

  1. My blog started as my path to happiness so I know the journey well. I'm super glad you're going to let me and other join you. I really really hope you not only find what you're looking for but get really cool surprises along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your support. A money tree planted in the backyard by some anonymous benefactor would be a cool surprise. A bonus bag of M&Ms from the vending machine will do as well.

      Delete
  2. I too once lost my happiness. I just didn't know who I was at that time and fell into my friends likes and happiness forgetting about my own. I started to keep a journal of just day to day musings and what I was happy about that day. Started to craft more and do things for ME! You will find your happiness again! Enjoy the journey that is part of the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to focus on the little things that make me happy on a daily basis. What is it they say about the longest journey beginning with a single step?

      Delete