Monday, September 16, 2013

Under-achieving Mom

I have this friend who is kind of like Super-Mom, if Super-Mom lived on a farm out in the Midwest. She's that over-achieving mom, ya know the one who puts other moms, like me, to shame . She has five kids, 4 which she home schools and a 4-month old still on the breast, prepares meals from scratch mostly with ingredients from her own garden. She cans and jars vegetables for later use, has a farm full of chickens (more fresh produce!), roosters and goats, not to mention two cats, a dog and a partridge in a pear tree.

On the opposite side of the spectrum there's me. I'm happy when I can get some laundry done before school is over, understand enough of my kid's homework to help him, then throw some hot dogs on the table for dinner and call it a day.

                                                 
I don't think so.


Ma Ingalls would look at how I do things and cry. Biscuits from a tube and not home made? Yep. TV during dinner? Uh huh. Bed not made in the morning? Um, sorry. Suzy Homemaker I'm not.

But I am good at leaving little notes in my kid's lunchbox every now and then as a surprise; playing Go Fish with him; having a hot meal prepared each night for my guys (even if it's not made from scratch).  My house may be messy but our lives are filled with love and laughter. Roseanne would be proud.

                                                           
That about sums it up.

2 comments:

  1. I love the concept of an old fashioned household, but I don't want to be the one to have to do it. What I really want, I think is a housewife ... shame I'm not gay, that could have been a really good solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps a house-husband for you? In my case, a housekeeper like Alice from the Brady Bunch.

      Delete