Friday, November 28, 2014

Zounds or holy crap, it's all the same in meaning

On Sleepy Hollow this past Monday, Ichabod, in frustration, said the phrase "God's wounds". I'm guessing this was their version of "holy crap". So I thought, hmm let me look up the whats and wheres of this phrase.

According to Wiktionary, the term comes from Christ's wounds before the crucifixion.

Sadly, God's wounds has suffered the same fate as the planet, Pluto, in that it's been demoted. Yep. Recognize the word, Zounds? No? Well, humor me because that's what has become of God's wounds.

Seems kind of sacrilegious. But I guess if you're in a hurry or don't want to sound so wordy, or if you have limited word/character space then Zounds is a better fit. So maybe it's not actually a demotion but an economical wording preference. God's wounds just happened to get edited. Makes sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment